Wednesday, February 22, 2012

DIY family monogram!

My husband and I have been re-modeling our house and our back-room entry was one of our first rooms to do. We installed a bench with storage below (I'll blog this one later...) and the wall above was screaming for something bold! I thought why not our initials? Everyone that walks into our home will know who lives here! This is what I did...

Step 1: Find pre-made letters of your liking. I found paper mâché letters at JoAnn Fabrics which were large enough to make a statement. I purchased an S, K and J! Sarah, and Kelly Jewett!

Step 2: Choose a color scheme that goes with the style of your home. In our case, we had many colors left over from various walls we've painted. I decided to re-use those.

Step 3: Make sure the area you will be painting in, is covered with newspaper or a drop cloth. My approach to painting was a little messy.

Step 4: Paint the base of the letters with a light color. I didn't completely cover my letters. I liked having some of the brown show through.

Step 5: Next I dripped paint on my letters and let the stream of paint find it's own way down the letter. I thought this technique was fun and something I haven't seen often. I used multiple drips of color on each letter.

Step 6: Let the letters dry over night. The drips are thick and you don't want to dent them.

Step 7: Finally, pick a spot on the wall, punch small nail holes into the backside of the letters and hang on your wall.

Enjoy, I know we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment